::scr Paying for It

Dave Turner scr@thegestalt.org
Thu, 2 May 2002 12:51:22 +0100

--K/NRh952CO+2tg14

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:33:05PM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
> But both of thoses method prevent me from searching out new material -
> if everything's behind passworded portals then I'm not going to be able
> to search for it.

What is to prevent a search engine showing hits for search terms, along with
an abstract of the content, but then require that you have credit on your a=
ccount
to pay for the actual content.

Yahoo! provide a news portal that works in a similar way to this for the fi=
nancial
news wires. [1]

At the end of the day, I think that it comes down to clever content managem=
ent [2].
If you mark-up content with clever meta-data [3] and use it when passing co=
ntent
around between syndicated sites, search engines, etc then you can take suit=
able
action to control what can be done with the content.  And that includes cha=
rging
for it.

[1] http://premium.search.yahoo.com/search/premium?p=3Dcontent+management&h=
c=3D&hs=3D
[2] Of course, that's how I make my living, so I would say that.
[3] http://www.dublincore.org/

--=20
Dave Turner
http://figroll.com/