::scr Towards a better text editor

My feelings on Emacs and Vi are, I think, pretty well known. I think they
suck. I think that they make editing text, their raison d'etre, hard. Which is
stupid.

I use nano, a Gnu Pico clone, which other people thinks suck. I like it
because it's small and quick to load, saving and opening files is easy and
doesn't require a 30 character input, the up arrow goes up, the down arrow
goes down and it doesn't have a fricking version of Elite built into it and
programing in Lisp. All the key commands are at the bottom of the screen

http://www.nano-editor.org/nanodefault2.png

It is missing some stuff. Whilst it has auto-indenting (which I don't use
anyway) it doesn't have syntax highlighting. The spell checker is a bit sucky.
You can't switch between documents (although you could just open up another
term). It doesn't have a macro language.

So what else should a text editor have? Should it have less? ARGUE WITH ME!

--
: nature notes for the apocalypse