Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:36:52 -0600
To: "EGR-Topica (E-mail)" <egr@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Locke <clocke@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: EGR: In Which I Yell At You A Lot

[snippage]

The book must be taking off like a rocket, right? No.
Not right. The book is in the shitter. At the moment:

   Amazon.com Sales Rank: 7,533

True, things could be worse. But if this book doesn't hit -- and hard
-- I'm fucked. Some of you have bought it, for which I am profoundly
grateful. But "some" in this case translates to something like 2% of
EGR's 5000+ readers, which is worse than many direct mail "campaigns."
It's depressing to think that spam is more effective than writing my
twisted little heart out to you indifferent pukes. So far this year,
my Amazon links have sold only 140 copies of Gonzo. And since many of
those sales represent people who never heard of EGR, the 2% figure is
certainly an overstatement of your Valued Support.

The rest of the mail (all 13k of it) basically went into a rant about why none
of the major reviewers were actually reviewing it - mostly because he'd pissed
off their parent companies in the book.

Any way, later we get ...