::scr Interface Evolution

No, it's not another attempt to get people to talk with me about Document
Centric desktops :)

Found this today

http://www.piemenu.com/

It's an idea from the guy who did the interface from The Sims (Don Hopkins -
http://www.donhopkins.com) who's also done some other really interesting
stuff.

>From the page (yes I know you can all read it anyway but this is to little
taster)

"What Are Pie Menus?

Pie Menus are a naturally efficient user interface technique: directional
selection of pie slice shaped targets. The cursor starts out in the center of
the pie, so all targets are large, nearby, and in different directions. Fitts'
Law explains the advantages of pie menus, relating their fast selection speed
and low error rate to their large target size and small distance. Pie menus
are easy for novice users, who just follow the directions, and efficient for
experienced users, who can quickly 'mouse ahead' once they know the way."

I actually rememebr things sort of like this in other games (Tomb Raider in
Lara's back back being one) and they're an interesting idea. One thing I can't
get used to in Macs (and various Linux desktops) is the lack of Windows style
right click context menus (they're probably there but I don't know where -
Doze is just what I'm used to. Macs have them bound to the Apple key?). I liek
the idea that (left) clicking on a file or executable does something and right
clicking lets me configure it and that this extends to stuff like right
clicking on My Computer or Network Neighbourhood lets me configure those. Ok,
so the paradigm isn't totally consistent (I have a very large document kicking
round that lists a $large_number of interface problems) but it's a ncie idea.

Since I have a passing liking for games (*cough*) I was looking at other
control methods (in the course of work as well - writing games for Java is
difficult enoguh since you don't know what keys/input device your player is
going to have) and realised that a lot of games spend a lot of time on
interface since and bad interface will interrupt the suspension of disbeliev
or make playing the game harder than it should be.

Black and White uses a gesture recognition system which is interesting and is
surprisingly effective and is a particularly good use of muscle memory,
doesn't clutter the screen with icons and allows a large range of actions to
be performed simply. The learning curve is steep though.

Some articles featuring the Gesture Recognition System :
http://www.gamespot.co.uk/stories/news/0,2160,2044582,00.html
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010613/molyneux_01.htm

A gesture recognition system is also used in Blender, a 3D modelling app much
like Lightwave or 3DS Max. It's Open Source and, from what I've heard you
either love the interface or hate it. A bit like Graffiti on Palms I suppose.

/me peters off

--
: "Don't worry," she said, seriously. "Most of the blood was someone else's."