::scr The Geek Syndrome

Most people are on London.pm anyway but still ...

The whole Asperger's/Dyspraxia/Dyslexia-with-respect-to-hackers thing is
something I've been mulling about for a few years - I wnated to go to
university and do Cognitive Psychology with the view to doing a PhD on
this. Hence the name check at the end of this mail.

It does seem to me that geeks/nerds/techies [DELETE as appropriate] do
tend to exhibit some or all of the symptons of these syndromes. There
are also other trends such as almost universally bad handwriting (even
before extended contact with computers precluded writing stuff by hand.

There has been some study ont his before and there is evidence to back
up the correlation

"Identifying dyslexia is vital, not only because literacy and numeracy
are increasingly important, but also from an educational/training
perspective ­ illiterate dyslexic people and illiterate non-dyslexic
people often respond better to different remedial regimes. In addition
there is a growing recognition that dyslexic people, while disadvantaged
in tasks that require reading, writing and sequential skills, often
excel in jobs that demand more creative and intuitive thought processes,
often including visuospatial awareness (eg computer programmers,
architects, etc)."
http://www.abilitynet.co.uk/content/abilitymag/issue34/dyslexia_screen.htm

Is this something other people have noticed? I'm mildly dyslexic - I
have problems 'seeing' word endings especially if I wrote them and will
often write "th end" and such. Are other people dyslexic?

----- Forwarded message from Leon Brocard <acme@xxxxxxxxxx> -----