Re: ::scr FreeForm Filesystem

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 03:44:46PM +0100, Simon Wistow said:
> What I do find more interesting is the idea of knowledge inference from
> emails or in fact from all the documents on your hard drive.

The other thing, that came up in a conversation last night, was - how
does this looked to Usability types and Cog Scis </shameless attempt to
smoke those creatures out>.

By 'this' I mean, have data organised by query. Apple had big qualms
about introducing aliases/shortcuts/symlinks because they didn't think
that they mapped to a metaphor (although you could argue for photocopies
of documents. Or cross references). This is a huge leap from that.
Although one could argue that this is *more* how we organise stuff in
our minds, outside the physical limitations of the icky real world - we
don't think of stuff as one or the other - (some of) Iain Banks books
get filed, mentally, under

- Iain Banks
- SciFi
- good
- new and unread,
- lent out to someone else (mental hyperlink->$friend)

simultaneously.

I believe there's been a lot of talk on various IA lists recently about
taxonomys. How does this segue into those?