::scr Re: paying for it

<de-lurk>

Hi all,

Very interesting discussion and one which cuts very close to the bone of our business at NewsNow. How do we scan sites that go registration? How do we handle publishers who are trying to squeeze every possible revenue stream out of their content, and start asking us to pay them money to scan their headlines? (While the majority of the sites we scan, tiny fan-sites, hobbyists, and niche industry sites, ask to be put on the system and even create special pages for us to scan.)

The essence of our business is aggregation, so we are not trying to make money from other people's content - we make it easier for people to access content that they could otherwise get for free anyway. But registration and subscription sites screw this up by forcing us to either drop the site, or somehow act as username/password middlemen.

One of the ideas that surfaced was that we could take money from the public and then distribute it to the publishers according to the number of clicks on their stories - and obviously take a cut for the service we provide. Sort of like your Internet tax on a news (micro) scale.

BTW we are dropping ads from our site as they just don't pay. We get our revenue from tailored press-cuttings services to PR deptartments & companies and the like.

Thanks for an interesting discussion!

[Disclaimer: I'm just a droid at NewsNow]

</de-lurk>

--

Best regards

Barry de la Rosa
Barry de la Rosa
Senior Technology Engineer
NewsNow Publishing Limited
Tel: +44 (0)20 7471 0400
____________________________________
http://services.NewsNow.co.uk
Receive fast updating news about
your company, competitors, industry,
products, clients & prospects
http://www.NewsNow.co.uk
Possibly the world's most popular
news portal web site

'An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.'
   - M.K. Gandhi