Re: ::scr Seti@Home & Global Warming

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 08:36:53AM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:
> part, doesn't cost the taxpayer a dime. If you don't want to chip in, no
> one is forcing you to. Surely that's a credit to this kind of research...

I think that currently that this sort of funding is fine.  Like you
said it's the individuals' choice.  Heck it probably even creates
jobs for power-station workers and miners. ;o)

But when The Grid visionaries get their limitless (well, very large)
computing resource that we all tap into when we need it, someone's going
to be paying for it.  It'll probably be mixed into the taxes somewhere,
and it's still going to have costs associated with the power consumption.

Anyway, The Grid's gonna tank.  Someone's just going to run Seti@Home on
it and use up all the available cycles.  Then it won't be any good to
anyone.

--
Dave Turner
http://figroll.com/