Re: ::scr Touchy Feely?

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 04:20:16PM +0100, Piers Cawley wrote:
> Oh ghod yes. I really, really, really don't like static
> languages. There's so much bullshit and repetition.

>From the perspective of someone who, until recently, wrote mainly in
dynamic languages (Perl and Ruby), but now works with a staticly typed
language (Java), I can't say that I've found the transition too
painful.  Yes, there's a lot of extra a bit more to type (or rather,
to get my editor to complete for me), but the type information is put
to great use by Intellij IDEA when it comes to refactoring,
code-completion and syntax-checking.  Before I saw what's possible
with this, I dismissed typing information as a waste of space.  I'd
love to see implement the same sorts of features in an editor for a
dynamic language, if only just to see if its possible.  I have to
agree that there's too much repetition though, and all those type
casts in Java are foul...

--
Mark Hulme-Jones < ture@xxxxxxxx >