Re: ::scr Happy Birthday Simon

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Alex Robinson wrote:

> Categories. Categories. Categories.
>
> http://m-arriaga.net/software/newdocms/
>   (via interconnected)
>
> So. Has anybody given it a go?

Someone who didn't have time to learn about some bloke's contrived new
system to catalogue things in a way which is totally alien to normal
people's ways of physically organising objects once may have said
"If it ain't broke don't fix it".
Does he just want to get his fizzog on the gogglebox?

Metadata. What a wonderful word. And now computers are being accepted as
part of mainstream, everyday life, and proles are learning what a folder
is in Internet Explorer, we sting them with this.
"Come to GNU/Linux land, and forget everything you ever knew about
computing. Or common sense."

* Picture the scene. Child is using Daddy's[0] computer *

Child: "What's this file called ~/newdocms.db, Daddy?
        It's full of gobbledygook."
Daddy: "Later, darling, Daddy's busy now."
[Child presses Delete key]

* Later... *
Wife: "Where's this year's tax return, dear?
	It was called C:\Documents and Settings\Wife\My Documents\
        tax return 2001-2"
Daddy: "I know it's here somewhere. Maybe it's this one called
        0588625331.{ext}. Shit, I've run out of inodes"

> If it's implemented for KDE, how convoluted and possible a process would it
> be to get it working in OSX?

You need to lay off the crack. Seriously.

Ant.

[0] Or Mummy's.