Re: ::scr Towards a better text editor

On 01/10/01 18:14 +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:

> Well this is an interesting point, sure we know how to do C-K, etc.
> in emacs and its clones. However once we go to edit foo files, where
> foo is text~ish but not exactly text, a new editor may be appropriate
> for the very reason that it has a different control set, instead of
> C-K, etc. The different control interface and its use may be of value
> in swapping our minds over to non-pure text mode.

Hmm. But I've switched to using jed to edit my mail in mutt
precisely because it uses emacs keystrokes by default, but loads
faster than emacs (and it's mail-mode is nice). No comments on my
choice of editor wanted, but I did this because I like C-K
etc to be the same in as many places as possible. One of my early
bugbears using Linux was remembering so many different command sets,
and muddling them between apps (particularly .

I think you'll find this is also why Windows apps all use a large,
overlapping set of keys to perform common functions - people are
better at automatically using a consistent keystroke to save, exit
etc.

> Bueller? Bueller? Celia? Celia?

Indeed. Where's a good Information Architect when you need one?[0] :)

[0] - Probably down the pub...

--

Simon Batistoni            Penseroso Ltd
simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx     +44 20 7242 0570