Re: ::scr semantic

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:29:00PM +0100, jo walsh said:
> blogrolling, and as a side point wonders why it's the bloggers who are
> doing all of this (and things like trackback, fumbling towards two way
> links) while the Perl community is  doing, um, fuck all really).

Providing things like XML::RSS, SOAP Lite and err, Perl are hardly fuck
all. It's like an architech or builder saying that they've done all the
work and the people who made the bricks and the equipment and got the
planning permission did fuck all.

Also I suspect it's because it doesn't interest a lot of them. If only
because it's not really a big topic at the moment and doesnt appear on
that many people's radar.

I do find the fact that it's bloggers (or, rather, the small collection
of usual suspect bloggers afaics) pushing this stuff interesting. I
think the cause of my attitude to blogging is that blogging is about
information dissemination - get it out there to whoever and spread it
far and wide. However I like information collation - all the information
from a single place. This has trust issues but it makes my life easier -
Like going to a cocktail database (such as, say
http://thegestalt.org/simon/cocktail.cgi) rather than searching round a
million people's diaries trying to find cocktails that they drank the
previous night and wrote the recipe down for. Ok so it's an extreme
example but you get the point.

Might the semantic web be a way of having their cake and eating it -
having widely desseminated information ("I saw this on $foo's blog")
which is widely disparate in subject but is pulled together by this
semantic web. A different (but much better, if it works) solution to an
already solvable problem?

Note: this is not a troll. The idea of having information encoded so
that my computer can pull together information for me and collate it
would be 'kin brilliant. But for now I can get the same effect, if not
as good by reading k5 and Slashdot and newspapers.

Simon

--
: third time's a charm