Re: ::scr semantic

On Monday 05 August 2002 12:29, you wrote:

> This kind of semantic parsing and extrapolation sounds alot like what
> Tigre/Nomis (::scrs and bots passim) and Cyc [0] are trying to do.
> However they've spent years and millions of $money trying to put in the
> data. The code is quite simple so that's easy so what needs to be done
> is seed it. And this would be done with people's 'web' (for want of a
> better word) pages. Except then you have trust, scaling and DOS
> problems.
>
> Does that sum it all up?

That's pretty much as I see it, yeah!

> Do you see this Semantic web sitting along side the traditional Web? I
> like my information to be human readable - I like sitting a reading a
> news paper or, indeed, an email and the SemWeb seems counter productive
> to this. Unless you plan to have parsing tools extract information from
> human readable content.

I think so. I see the semantic web stuff as being useful embedded in HTML and
the like, really; using namespaces and XHTML you can do that, just like RDDL
does. You can have real RDDL linking to the RDF, too - pick your favourite.

Eg, I write a waffling page about how great I think I am, and inside it I
embed whatever RDF syntax is for "is(Alaric, great)".

Google, when spidering, silently makes a mental note of:

claimsOnWebPage(Alaric,is(Alaric,great),'http://.../',<date>)

It lacks the initial 'Alaric' if it can't figure out that I wrote the page.

> Simon

ABS