Re: ::scr What porn sites don't want you to know..

On Friday 11 October 2002 13:22, jonah wrote:

> > So you only need one sucker in a mailing of 25,000 to bite, and you've
> > made money. 2 suckers and it's looking attractive, 100 suckers and
> > you're laughing.
>
> Well, yeah, say you're selling penis enlargement pills[0] or something at,
> say, Ten dollars a pop. Career bulk spammers have list of hundereds of
> thousands or even millions of email addresses (and that's before we even
> look at hotmail blanketing). So, say we have 500,000 addresses. Even if
> your hit rate is 0.1 percent, that's 500 respondants, and five thousand
> bucks. For sending an email. You can see why they do it.

Oh, BTW, legit mail sending beaureaus like us charge several pence per
message - shoving it through an open relay with a free 30 days AOL CD on
ISDN, however, probably has lower overheads. Except that the RBLs will block
it; I use RBLs to block incoming mail for spam and get relatively little.

> I wonder how long it takes them to realise that spam on less than bulk
> scales just is not effective? Does anyone ever respond to these misguided
> companies to point out how annoying the spam is?

postmaster@<isp>
abuse@<isp>

;-)

ABS