Re: ::scr The Geek Syndrome

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:02:18PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> ADD is the fancy name for "intelligent children get bored and find
> something more interesting to do like breaking stuff" isn't it?

No. And 99% of the problem is people misunderstanding what it is and
misdiagnosing children with it.

Diagnostic criteria:
http://www.tcams.org/adhd.htm

Note points C & D. (FWIW, I have Type 1.)

Remember Goldfinger's Law: "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
three times is enemy action." For a particular group of behavioural patterns
to show up all together in numerous cases is surely evidence of some extra
process at work.

> It always amazes me how many people have all these new diseases.  You woulda
> thunk that if such things actually existed people would have noticed them
> a long time ago.

Well, until the late 18th century, nobody had noticed that air was actually
several separate gases in combination. They just didn't have the science to
understand it yet.

Actually, ADD was first noticed some time ago, and tentatively classified as
"minimal brain dysfunction" in 1966.
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/g2699/0002/2699000226/p1/article.jhtml

--
DADA suggests 2 solutions: NO MORE LOOKS! NO MORE WORDS! (No more manifestos.)
                                             - Tristan Tzara, "Dada Manifesto"