::scr Topics and Thread Drift

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:45:09PM +0000, David Cantrell said:
> (maybe this is getting back into (void) territory? if replying there, please
> quote *all* of my message so that people get the context)

Possibly.

The original point of this mailing list was a meta mailing list to
discuss setting up a mailing list which promoted technical discussion
and attempted to stay entirely on topic and also avoid too much thread
drift.

The big problem is deciding what is on topic and what isn't. Obviously
drawing a line in the sand is nigh on impossible and probably the best
solution is to have a benevolent dictorial list maintainer who
occasionally throws his toys out of the cot.

Instead of just talking about it I just decided to try it out and see
how it all panned out and so far I'm pretty chuffed - the list *is* the
experiment which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and also means that last
night I had  a dream when I saw everyone on here as lab rats. But then
that's just me.

I've actually been very interested in this thread - the Psychology of
Geeks has been 'my thing' for a while and, eventually, when I have
sufficent tuits in the bank I'd like to do a PhD on the subject.

Also, in the New Scientist definition of technology - psychology and
medicine are perfectly valid for this list.

I have mailed a couple of people off list to warn them that they're
drifting off topic - including myself. My expose on peanuts was at least
skirting near the imaginary line in my head and I ought to be harsher on
myself just to set an example.

I'd be interested to see what other people thought and if you do ahve
any complaints, or suggestions then feel free to mail me on or off list.

ObSideNote: we also got our 30th and 31st subscriber this morning. Feel
free to invite anybody else you want to but tyr and explain before hand
sort of what it's about. Thoughtful posts (I also like nice long ones,
*cough*) and arguing your corner are good. AOL one liners are bad,
mmkay. It'd be especially nice to get some none-programmers on here to
get a bit of balance/perspective/whatever.

--
This is the voice of the listmanager
"god, moderator, what difference?"