Re: ::scr clue

Again, I think you're wrong. I don't believe there is a prior attempt to
formulise the units of cultural transmission

Well, apart from the notion of "mimesis" coined by Socrates 3,000 years before Dawkin's birth.

Actually I was about to add that I'd forgotten to mention that meme is actually derived from mimeme

Plus having just flicked through the relevant bits of Selfish Gene I can confirm that he tips the hat to noone when it comes to memes - indeed his preamble to the meme's introduction expresses his surprise and disappointment that people had avoided the area.

As to (Socrates|Plato)'s mimesis, I thought that it was a thoroughly degrading thing. And not actually about cultural transmission at all. But please explain. I forgot almost everything I knew about ancient greek within 6 months of stopping studying it and that was 15 years ago :)