Re: ::scr Re: doesn't have the morlocks

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:24:41AM +0100, Dan Argent wrote:
> > It can be best to know ones limitations and play to ones
> > strengths.  If
> > Einstein had ignored his propensity for mathmatics and had
> > instead decided
> > to become an artist he may have been a moderate artist with sufficient
> > practice but both he and the world would have lost out through his not
> > finding his true vocation.
>
> Oh yes, play to your strengths... but limitations....why?
>
> And think of the MILLIONS of people who, due to setting limits in front of
> themselves never find their true vocation.

But if we actually do find that certain limitations really do exist,
isn't it best to be aware of them? Do you think people actually are
different, or are you saying anyone could do anything if they really
wanted to?

Taking a hypothetical example, if we find, through detailed knowledge
of the human brain, that certain problems can only be solved by people
with certain brain structures, which we can easily detect, isn't
it good to know that, and for people without those structure to
never expect to be able to solve those problems, no matter how hard
they try, and to be able to focus on areas in which they can achieve?

Michael