RE: ::scr Re: doesn't have the morlocks

> Yes. I deemed it so. I had thought it would be obvious, but you seem
> to have conveniently ignored the message in which I clarified the
> rules.

Right.... I've seen that now.

> >> you were bourn to rich parents and inherited money
> >>

> > And is that a genetic predisposition? Or you could have made the
> > money yourself.
>
> Sorry, issue is moot in this particular sport. The use of outside
> agencies is deemed illegal. Again, see my clarifying message.

If you really want to use this contrived example, then I can keep inventing
ways around your rules, and you can keep inventing new ones:

My athelete could build himself a medieval rack, and stretch himself on
that,
which would be hard to detect. Or get both legs broken and relengthened.

> > Of course it does. However, it doesn't mean that if you are short
> > you believe yourself unable to move things from tall shelves!
>
> But you emphatically *are* unable to move things from tall shelves
> under the rules of Olympic shelf reaching. An admittedly artificial
> sport introduced solely for the purposes of clarifying a point.

Taking this back to art - if you don't paint by the rules, then you could
never
be a great artist. Huh?

I think that introducing an artifical sport where you can re-write the rules
each
time an exception is found doesn't really help the discussion.

I'd suggest a movement back to "great artist" "great writer"...

> >> Most animals are going to have no conciousness of their limitations
> >> but this does not stop some in a life or death situation where each
> >> individual is trying his hardest from surviving and others from
> >> getting eaten
> >
> > okay. I don't understand the relavance. In fact, I could say this
> > supports my case, because prey animal X is unaware that lizards
> > can't fly, until being chased by carnivore Y off a clif, whereupon
> > suddenly his freaky webbed arms and legs have a great use.....
>
> Except for all the ones that don't have the freaky webbed arms and
> therefore plummet to their deaths on the rocks below. Only a very
> small fraction of such lizards will have the genetically predetermined
> capability of flight.

So... where does that lead? I'm still unsure of the relavance of animals
that (I think Tom) brought in.  It still shows that if the animal had only
thought
it was a ground hugger, it would most definetly died, as opposed to living.

> > Is the choice between a) God / Evolution determing your future
> > or b) Yourself determing your future so hard?

> Um... that isn't the choice though. Looking at this from a point of
> view which allows free will we have:
>
> Ones inherited characteristics do not predetermine our futures, but
> they put some/many predispositions in place. The exercise of our will,
> tempered by our genetic predisposition along with the cultural and
> physicals predispostion of our parents, school, town, state, planet
> and the whole damn extended phenotype the proceed to determine the
> course of ones life. It's becoming clear that the genotype can and
> does have second, third, fouth ... nth order effects. There are
> heritable traits which one inherits from ones grandparents for
> instance, some of which are undoubtedly crippling.

That's not the point I am arguing. The point is that you should not
be limiting yourself by thinking in those terms. And that by thinking in
that
way, can never reach your full potential.