Re: ::scr DNA

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:14:18PM +0100, jo walsh said:
> why am i telling scr this? because there's one wonderful rant, partly on
> the subject of dodgy electricians, called 'Frank the Vandal', with a brief
> and tight little vision of totally custom, user-programmable, seamless
> application interface with small cooperating gadgets over a wireless
> network. written quite a while ago, before anyone had heard of 802.11 i
> suppose.

I'm not sure I'd want this. I already spend most of my time 'connected'
in someway - I'm trying to cut down on my email by not reading it as
much as possible and then noting which folders I skip over most and then
cutting them out. I have a phone by my desk, IRC and email contsantly
open and I read (as previosuly mentioned) a huge number of web pages a
day just trying to keep on top of stuff. Furthermore I usually have a
book or two on the go at once and I read the newspaper - The Times if
it's lying round the office, Metro if I pick one up on the tube, The
Grauniad at the weekend (but only Guide, Editor and The Magazine. Can't
be doing with this nasty, left wing propaganda).

You'll notice I don't have a mobile or a PDA. I loathe mobile phones.
Really hate them. I concede that there are times when they can be useful
but, for me, 99% of the time I don't need one and, when I did have one
(it was given to me by work), I hated people calling me up all the time
- almsot as much as I hate people who stop the conversation they're
having with you to chat to someone who's just called them on their
mobile. *sigh*

Having all that connectivity would probably drive me over the edge.

I have some thoughts on pervasive computing which I'm simmering together
with some of the 'paying for it' thread to make some sort of information
marmalade. Possibly a compote - I haven't decided.

Simon