Re: ::scr DNA

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:22:06AM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
> (it was given to me by work), I hated people calling me up all the time
> - almsot as much as I hate people who stop the conversation they're
> having with you to chat to someone who's just called them on their
> mobile. *sigh*

That's down to the person with the phone.  I generally take the view
that when a phone rings it means that someone would like to talk to
me (or one of my flatmates if it's in the house) and answer it if I
want to talk to someone.  Most people seem to be of the point of view,
"The phone's ringing so I HAVE to answer it."  I think that's wrong.

The problem is more fundamental to the way people interact with telephones.
Making them mobile just makes a bad problem worse.  If your landline
rings in the middle of a candlelit dinner with an attractive young
lady, do you go and answer it?  No I didn't think so.

Connectivity isn't a problem.  The technology isn't a problem.  It's
the way we use it that's important.  People need to be less controlled
by it.  We need to develop applications that are seemless.  We need to
make technology adapt to OUR way of doing things, not the other way round.

Sorry, too much coffee this morning...

--
Dave Turner
http://figroll.com/