Re: ::scr Re: doesn't have the morlocks

On Monday 08 April 2002 14:56, you wrote:

> Okay... this is a minor rant, but it's something I think is very
> important...:
>
> I would argue that you're defeating any chances you have to be an artist,
> or a writer or a physicist. Bohr was wired differently to Einstien who was
> wired
> differently to Newton. I believe that anyone who takes the view that
> certain people are "born differently/ better equipped" is limiting
> themselves and also
> participating in a form of prejudice against themselves and everyone else.
>
> Even if the wiring thing was true, what is the point of beleving it and
> being self
> limiting....?

I'd say that people were "born wired in a certain way", yes, but that's not
as simple as it sounds. It's not prejudice or self limitation. I appear to
have been born with a natural grasp for certain types of system which makes
me good with computers and mathematics and physics and stuff, but I end up
trying to map everything into that kind of system which can be a handicap.

But it's much more complex than that. I have varying levels of success
mapping something like 'art' into my mental map. But (particularly with
things like 'art') looking at them from a bizarre perspective can reveal
insights others miss.

So it's not as simple as saying that I'd make a bad artist; I wouldn't be
good at being an artist like most artists are, but I could probably bring my
own worldview to art in a potentially useful way.

Saying that this is a form of prejudice, or self limiting, is a bit hasty.

> dan

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell