Re: ::scr Touchy Feely?

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 12:13, Simon Wistow wrote:

> 1. Scientists
> Lose touch with reality and don't remember the gritty soily joys of
> getting down and hacking at code. Produce droppings which smell of
> Academic Languages which, whilst technically excellent have little or no
> practical value.

IMHO, this prevalant attitude is part of where computing's gone wrong. It's
why people use languages like C or Perl or Java or COBOL when they could be
chucking around abstractions in the lambda calculus, which is a far less
error prone activity (and for those of you who say that's harder - it's just
*different*; you're not used to it; once you get the hang it's arguably
easier)

A lot of compsci is about finding fundamental abstractions. We have
java.util.Collection classes, arrays, hashes, maps, tuples, lists, SQL
databases, filesystems, and whatnot when really they all just boil down to
variants on set theory! If people stepped back from the differences and saw
that it's all just sets then these things would logically converge more,
eventually sharing their interfaces so you wouldn't need a different mental
model for each of these things.

Likewise locating resources on a network; it's nothing more than a
*reference*, like a pointer in C. URIs are, by chance, happening to bring
this together more but they're still distinct to your in-memory references to
objects.

What computer science deliberately ignores, much of the time, is stuff like
commercial concerns; "if it's not POSIX compliant it'll never work". So you
do tend to get some concepts which are great but won't fit into what we
already have so get ignore. But I see that as a failing of the computer
industry, which has kind of bricked itself into a hole with backwards
compatability, rather than of the academics :-)

Thus my occasional sporadic work on Argon, deliberately designing computer
software from the ground up based entirely on academic concerns rather than
political ones:

http://www.argon.org.uk/

> Simon

ABS